Trainings & Certifications
MSTB is responsible for promotion and administration of the international qualification scheme called "ISTQB Certified Tester" in Malaysia. The qualifications are based on a syllabus, and there is a hierarchy of qualifications and guidelines for accreditation and examination. MSTB is the only national board recognized by ISTQB to administer this certification in Malaysia.
Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL)
There is no prerequisite to qualify to sit for the CTFL certification examination.
Candidates are required to sit a 75 minutes, 40-question multiple choice examination designed to evaluate a candidate's knowledge and understanding of the entire Foundation syllabus. Candidates are required to score 26/40 or more correct answers to pass.
Certified Tester Advanced Level (CTAL)
The ISTQB Certified Tester Advanced Level has three different components (exams), building on the Foundation Level certificate:
• Technical Test Analyst
• Test Analyst
• Test Manager
Candidates may opt to be certified in one, two or all three of these components. Upon successfully completing all three components, candidate will receive an additional certification as Certified Tester Advanced Level (Full).
To qualify to receive a CTAL certified, candidates must:
- The candidate have passed an ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level exam and hold an ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level certificate issued by an ISTQB-recognized National Board e.g. MSTB;
- If the candidate has not successfully completed a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution in computer science or a related field, the candidate must have at least five years of verifiable full-time work experience in software or systems testing, development, quality assurance, engineering or a related fields;
- If the candidate has successfully completed a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution in computer science or a related field, the candidate must have at least two years of verifiable full-time work experience in software or systems testing, development, quality assurance, engineering or a related field, though the candidate must have three years of such experience before they can obtain the Full Advanced Level Certificate;
- Successfully pass one or more ISTQB Certified Tester Advanced Level exams administered by an ISTQB-recognized National Board e.g. MSTB
Candidates are required to undergo pre-qualification through MSTB to verify the status of eligibility to receive a CTAL certification. This is preferably conducted before the candidate sits for any CTAL examination. For further details, refer to the CTAL - Notification to Candidates document.
Certified Tester Expert Level (CTEL)
CTEL is currently being structured by ISTQB and have not been formally implemented.
How to Register for Public Exam
To register for any of the ISTQB Certified Tester examinations:
- Check for the preferred examination date and venue.
- Request the registration form from firstname.lastname@example.org
- For CTFL, you must submit the form (together with the applicable fees) to MSTB at least 5 working days before the exam date.
- For CTAL, you must submit the registration form at least 2 weeks before the date of the exam. This is to allow MSTB sufficient time to perform qualifications verification.
MSTB normally refrains from conducting in-house examinations, unless MSTB’s strict conditions and requirements are met by the applying organization. For possibility of arranging an in-house examination, please contact the MSTB Secretariat directly at email@example.com
MSTB also offers the Certified Professional in Requirements Engineering (CPRE) through its partnership with the International Requirements Engineering Board (IREB), which provides the core syllabi and guidelines for accreditation and examination in requirements engineering.
Advanced Course in Software Testing for Test Managers
The Advanced Course in Software Testing for Test Managers covers topics needed to prepare you for the ISTQB Certified Tester- Advanced Level Examination.